3980 Broadway Suite 103 Box 139
Boulder, CO 80304
Toll free: 888.891.9416
Human Resources/Digital Media
Public News Service is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and multicultural work environment and occasionally seeks highly qualified candidates to join its team of committed social entrepreneurs. Ideal candidates are results-oriented and have a sense of humor; self-starters that can also follow established protocols and work well with different personalities in a rapidly changing environment.
If you would like us to have your resume on file, you are invited to e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Human Resources Associate (part-time)
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: CEO
Saving the world of journalism, one hire at a time. Responsible for recruitment & hiring for a public interest media company. Work closely with managing partners and tight-knit staff; must be detail & deadline-driven and committed to excellence in the challenging and rewarding field of public interest journalism. Tasks include the recruitment, selection and training of new employees & contractors, ongoing morale & personnel issues.
Summary of essential job functions
- Overall hiring tasks include posting job openings, processing job applications, managing resumes, arranging job interviews, verifying employment history, conducting background & reference checks and advising applicants on the status of their application.
- Assist in orientation, benefits and exit interview process.
- Ensure compliance with all recruitment Policies, Laws, and Regulations.
- Write up professional job adverts.
- Put together new employee starter packs.
- Set up, monitor and track employee probationary periods.
- Acting as the first point of contact for anyone enquiring about a vacancy.
- Keep track of any employee anniversaries and/or awards they are due.
- Providing professional advisory support to company employees & management.
- Interpret and clarify HR policies & practices.
- Update and maintain staff Wiki & newsletter.
- File electronic and hard copy documents.
- Handle, and track all employee requests for time off and grievances.
- Maintain & coordinate relevant contractual information.
- Obtain and orient temporary help by forwarding requirements and criteria to temporary services.
- Process, maintain & archive Human Resources personnel files for all staff & contractors.
- Act in a confidential capacity handling external and internal inquiries from the public, employees, & departments.
- May process payroll, process payroll changes, and/or address payroll discrepancies.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate special projects as needed.
- At least two years of formal education past high school diploma.
- At least 2-5 years of related experience.
- Must be computer literate.
- Knowledge of journalism, the media’s role in information distribution and public interest non-profits preferable.
Enthusiasm & “can do” attitude required; excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills; a collaborative nature and commitment to results required; exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to develop successful sourcing strategies, set priorities and manage the resulting workload; must be able to communicate via email, telephone and social media. Must be computer literate, including suite of Microsoft Office software. Knowledge of journalism, public affairs & current events, as well as the media’s role in information distribution and public interest non-profits preferred.
Business Development Opportunity with Social Mission Media (Boulder, CO)
Fearless, fiscal, fun-loving, social mission-driven, detail-oriented high energy money magnet wanted. Do you consistently achieve or exceed revenue goals? Thrive on making calls/contacts every day? Successfully fundraise online? Then we have the job for you.
Nitty Gritty: Salary $60K + bonuses. This is a full-time position based in Boulder, CO. Competitive health & retirement plans with superior vacation benefits (because we work hard and think you should play hard too!)
Reaching 33+ million people per week though 1,000s of news outlets, Public News Service is “cause reporting that reaches far beyond the choir” - Joan Blades, of MoveOn.org. PNS pioneered the “Fund a Beat” model - so anyone can be a philanthropist and support media solutions that improve public debate. Our work is a critical piece in maintaining a vibrant democracy.
This position requires a person who is forward thinking, visionary and results-oriented, with a solid understanding of entrepreneurial organizations. Knowledge of media industry and foundations highly desired, as is familiarity & comfort with non-profit and socially responsible business culture. To qualify, you must possess ambition for a higher cause, great attention to detail and excellent prospecting abilities.
Like all pioneering, this is not for the faint-hearted. We look for innovative employees with multi-faceted gifts who create and execute big solutions. Corporate culture: results-driven, joyful & deadline-oriented in casual working environment (you may find us planking or enjoying chocolate breaks at any given time!)
Hiring Now - Deadline to apply is Feb. 25. Applicants please email a resume, cover letter and an original writing sample of your marketing work to: Lisa Collard at email@example.com and use “Business Development” in the subject line.
Achieve revenue targets for the year by increasing revenue from new sources and maintain our excellent renewal rate.
- Work with CEO & CFO to create & implement new fundraising strategies and evaluate tactics.
- Develop and write/edit text for collateral materials
- Develop and implement a comprehensive online fundraising plan
- Manage, train and support outreach team efforts (may include partner organizations)
- Oversee online marketing & presence for various products in coordination with social media team
- Create and implement a donor/member efforts, including communications calendar
- Work with editorial staff as necessary
- Work with HR to build a development/membership team
- Other duties as mutually agreed
- 5-10 years of fundraising or sales experience with proven results (in a non-profit and/or media setting will get you to the top of the stack)
- Strong commitment to the PNS mission; demonstrated interest & knowledge of current affairs and major policy debates
- Track record of directly soliciting and securing new business - 95% via phone and electronic communication
- High level comfort with technology, internet research, CSM database experience, online marketing (preferred); ability to see colors.
- Demonstrated creative problem solving, strategic thinking abilities and excellent judgment
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Superior attention to detail, strong follow-through and the ability to meet deadlines
- Flexibility and a good sense of humor
- Ability to travel occasionally
* The Public News Service is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, age, sex, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, veteran status, alienage and citizenship, gender identity/expression or other protected status under federal, state or local law.
WANTED: Audio Broadcast News Producers - Must be available afternoons
If you are passionate about social, environmental, economic and community issues and understand commercial and noncommercial broadcast and print/online outlets, join our team!
Public News Service has several positions around the country for experienced news producers/reporters. The right candidates are results-oriented, self-starters who can also follow established protocols and works well with different personalities in a rapidly changing environment. You must have a home office capable of recording and producing complete audio stories ready for broadcast. Video gear and skills a plus. Sense of humor and innovative spirit very important.
The Candidates Need:
- at least 3-5 years of experience working in a fast-paced online news environment (commercial stations and wire service work preferred)
- high comfort with technology and use of various software; demonstrated expertise with digital recording and editing
- strong communication skills and the ability to coordinate intense levels of e-mail correspondence and phone calls
- familiarity with the news environment, progressive politics, cultural trends, and emerging issues
- excellent editorial, voice, social media, technical and interpersonal skills
Primarily phone sound, story duration approx. 1:30 min each. In addition to reporting and producing daily broadcasts the position may also generate original web content for the PNS web page. Some night, weekend and holiday work may be required. The expected workload varies by region. Competitive pay.
Please only apply with the required skills/experience and values and mindset as described above. Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org - with "PNS Producer" in the subject line.