Monday, September 20, 2021

Play

The American Rescue Plan could provide essential training to boost jobs in construction, and we explore a trauma-informed approach to preventing marijuana use in teens.

Play

Pfizer says its vaccine is safe for children ages 5 to 11, travel restrictions soon will ease for vaccinated international visitors to the U.S., and a Texas doctor who performed an abortion under new restrictions is sued.

Play

Lawsuits stall debt relief for America's Black farmers; Idaho hospitals using "critical care" protocols; grant money boosts rural towns in Utah and more conservation acreage could protect the iconic sage grouse.

This, year the theme of Sea Otter Awareness Week is the species' key role in the mosaic of the ecosystem. (Wikimedia Commons)
This, year the theme of Sea Otter Awareness Week is the species' key role in the mosaic of the ecosystem. (Wikimedia Commons)

Monday, September 20, 2021
MONTEREY BAY, Calif. - This week, conservation groups are celebrating Sea Otter Awareness Week with online and in-person events across the state…

The "Build Back Better" proposal would significantly increase subsidies for child care. (Lordn/Adobe Stock)
The "Build Back Better" proposal would significantly increase subsidies for child care. (Lordn/Adobe Stock)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- CARSON CITY, Nev. -- It is not every day people ask for higher taxes, but that's the gist of a letter just sent to Congress…

About 65% of community college students are taking for-credit academic courses. Of the remaining 35%, a large majority is pursing job-related skills. (Prayitno/Wikimedia Commons)
About 65% of community college students are taking for-credit academic courses. Of the remaining 35%, a large majority is pursing job-related skills. (Prayitno/Wikimedia Commons)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A new survey of community colleges and technical schools in the United States shows their courses and programs that promote job …

Rep. Mike Simpson, R-ID, has proposed a $33.5 billion plan to save Chinook salmon and other endangered fish in the Columbia River Basin. (BLM/Flickr)
Rep. Mike Simpson, R-ID, has proposed a $33.5 billion plan to save Chinook salmon and other endangered fish in the Columbia River Basin. (BLM/Flickr)

BOISE, Idaho -- Closed fisheries from imperiled fish runs in the Columbia River Basin are prompting calls for action before it's too late. Steelhead …

About 14% of Idaho's electricity was generated from wind in 2019, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. (knowlesgallery/Adobe Stock)
About 14% of Idaho's electricity was generated from wind in 2019, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. (knowlesgallery/Adobe Stock)

TWIN FALLS, Idaho -- The public has an opportunity to weigh in on a large wind-energy project proposed in Idaho. The Lava Ridge Wind Energy Project …

Eighteen Idaho lawmakers scored 100% in the Kids Matter Index. (SeanPavonePhoto/Adobe Stock)
Eighteen Idaho lawmakers scored 100% in the Kids Matter Index. (SeanPavonePhoto/Adobe Stock)

BOISE, Idaho - An organization has rated Idaho lawmakers on how they voted for measures that affect children in the 2021 session. Idaho Children …

Rachel Winn, right, says her new van should be handicap accessible for her son by November. (Rural Dynamics)
Rachel Winn, right, says her new van should be handicap accessible for her son by November. (Rural Dynamics)

Monday, September 20, 2021
HELENA, Mont. - It can be hard for people with disabilities to afford the assistive technology they need to perform daily activities. A program in …

Solar jobs could be an avenue for Montana workers in coal-dependent sectors. (anatoliy_gleb/Adobe Stock)
Solar jobs could be an avenue for Montana workers in coal-dependent sectors. (anatoliy_gleb/Adobe Stock)

HELENA, Mont. - An event coming up soon looks at the prospects for clean energy in Montana. The Energy Future Summit will be held virtually Oct. 1…

The oil and gas industry has more than 800 approved permits to drill in Montana, according to Wild Montana. (kat7213/Adobe Stock)
The oil and gas industry has more than 800 approved permits to drill in Montana, according to Wild Montana. (kat7213/Adobe Stock)

HELENA, Mont. -- Conservation groups in Montana are calling on the federal government to overhaul oil and gas leasing on public lands. President Joe …

Join our mailing list!

Stay up to date with news directly to your inbox.

 

Privacy policy

Media Outlet Sign Up

Public News Service serves free content to 6,000+ media outlets.

SIGN UP
More than 80% of Nevada is public land owned by the federal government, which is charged with managing it for the public's benefit. (Kurt Kuznicki)
More than 80% of Nevada is public land owned by the federal government, which is charged with managing it for the public's benefit. (Kurt Kuznicki)

Monday, September 20, 2021
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Admission to any state park in Nevada is free this coming Saturday, as part of the first Nevada Public Lands Week - with a series …

The new infrastructure proposal would increase funding for home-based health care services for seniors. (AARP)
The new infrastructure proposal would increase funding for home-based health care services for seniors. (AARP)

CARSON CITY, Nev. -- It is not every day people ask for higher taxes, but that's the gist of a letter just sent to Congress, signed by more than 200 …

Nevada's small but tight-knit Muslim community is centered in North Las Vegas and Reno. (Pixel-shot/Adobe Stock)
Nevada's small but tight-knit Muslim community is centered in North Las Vegas and Reno. (Pixel-shot/Adobe Stock)

LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- As the nation marks the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks this weekend, Muslim groups are reflecting on progress in the …

Oregon's Latino workforce numbers 200,000, according to the organization Causa. (F8studio/Adobe Stock)
Oregon's Latino workforce numbers 200,000, according to the organization Causa. (F8studio/Adobe Stock)

Monday, September 20, 2021
PORTLAND, Ore. - A growing slice of the workforce is Hispanic, but a disproportionate number of Hispanic households don't have regular access to the …

A letter encourages Congress to raise taxes on wealthy people, including an additional tax on people with net assets of more than $50 million. (W.Scott McGill/Adobe Stock)
A letter encourages Congress to raise taxes on wealthy people, including an additional tax on people with net assets of more than $50 million. (W.Scott McGill/Adobe Stock)

Friday, September 17, 2021
PORTLAND, Ore. - Wealthy Americans have a message for Congress: Tax us more. More than 200 high-income taxpayers and business owners have sent an …

Oregon's Hispanic population grew 30% from 2010 to 2020. (Gstudio/Adobe Stock)
Oregon's Hispanic population grew 30% from 2010 to 2020. (Gstudio/Adobe Stock)

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Hispanic Heritage Month began this week, and will be celebrated through Oct. 15. Oregon has a rapidly growing Hispanic population…

"Tulip Harvest" by Jesus Guillen was among the work displayed in a retrospective of the artist's life and work. (Kris Ekstrand)
"Tulip Harvest" by Jesus Guillen was among the work displayed in a retrospective of the artist's life and work. (Kris Ekstrand)

Monday, September 20, 2021
LA CONNER, Wash. - The exhibit of an artist who depicted the lives of farmworkers in northwest Washington has been recognized for its quality…

Puget Sound Agrarian Commons' property on Whidbey Island is about an hour north of Seattle. (Northwest Meadowscapes)
Puget Sound Agrarian Commons' property on Whidbey Island is about an hour north of Seattle. (Northwest Meadowscapes)

Monday, September 20, 2021
WHIDBEY ISLAND, Wash. - A farming project on a Puget Sound island is looking to reshape agriculture and access to land. The nonprofit Agrarian …

Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., has proposed $1 billion in culvert removal and restoration for salmon in the budget-reconciliation bill. (Bill Perry/Adobe Stock)
Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., has proposed $1 billion in culvert removal and restoration for salmon in the budget-reconciliation bill. (Bill Perry/Adobe Stock)

SEATTLE -- Closed fisheries from imperiled fish runs in the Columbia River Basin are prompting calls for action before it's too late. Steelhead …

Join our mailing list!

Stay up to date with news directly to your inbox.

 

Privacy policy

Media Outlet Sign Up

Public News Service serves free content to 6,000+ media outlets.

SIGN UP
Social Security lifts more than one million U.S. children out of poverty, along with some 26,000 elderly residents in Wyoming. (Adobe Stock)
Social Security lifts more than one million U.S. children out of poverty, along with some 26,000 elderly residents in Wyoming. (Adobe Stock)

CHEYENNE, Wyo. -- Social Security, the program credited with lifting 15 million older residents in Wyoming and across the U.S. out of poverty…

During late summer and fall, bears eat and drink nearly nonstop in preparation for winter hibernation, a process known as hyperphagia. (Adobe Stock)
During late summer and fall, bears eat and drink nearly nonstop in preparation for winter hibernation, a process known as hyperphagia. (Adobe Stock)

JACKSON, Wyo. - Bears throughout Wyoming, including celebrated Grizzly 399 and her four adolescent cubs, are becoming increasingly active in search …

The Bridger-Teton National Forest is home to 1.3 million acres of wilderness and thousands of miles of free-flowing rivers. (Adobe Stock)
The Bridger-Teton National Forest is home to 1.3 million acres of wilderness and thousands of miles of free-flowing rivers. (Adobe Stock)

JACKSON, Wyo. -- A report published today focuses on data-driven efforts to conserve big-game migration in Wyoming's Bridger-Teton National Forest…

 

Phone: 303.448.9105 Toll Free: 888.891.9416 Fax: 208.247.1830 Your trusted member and audience-supported news source since 1996 Copyright 2021